Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Progress Report

What an amazing week it's been so far!  Actually, the last two weeks have been crucial for me in networking, asking for recommendations and introductions and getting advice on my search and resume. 

Late last week, I reached out to many colleagues to recommend me on LinkedIn.  So far, I've received 6 additional recommendations and some which are very glowing.  This gave me the confidence that my reputation still stands strong and that even people I haven't reached out to in a while, still think highly of me.  It gives me courage to keep searching, knowing that I'm a great candidate.
I also have asked many people for introductions to connections, in order to get my resume in front of the internal recruiter or HR department.  I haven't yet seen the fruits of this labour, but I am hoping that this will happen soon.  I may need to get myself into NY/Boston area to be available for interviews, but I'm willing to do that.  

Today I spoke with an individual who is VP of Legal/Compliance for a large firm on the East Coast.  While with a previous company, he and his department were a key service provider, so he knew of me.  Another colleague of mine also asked him to speak with me and put in a good word.  He reviewed my resume and gave me some really wonderful insight and ideas for improvement, which I will work on tomorrow.  He also offered to give my information to recruiters who call him regularly, seeking viable candidates.  Awesome!!  

Tomorrow morning, I have an interview with HR for a local firm.  I've been working with them for some time now, trying to find a good position for me.  I'll be speaking with them about what I'm looking for and we'll talk about positions that are going to be coming down the pike soon.  It will be a great chance to practice interviewing and presenting what I'm looking for.  

Lastly, the opportunity to contract with a colleague in Atlanta is still a possibility and still in motion.  I'm particularly excited about this and am hopeful this will work out, giving me a chance to work with someone I greatly respect, can learn a lot from and refresh my skills.  Even though it would be short-term and not permanent, I believe it will be great for my resume and for getting me back in the mindset of being successful and confident, as well being a great way to re-enter the workforce.

My biggest obstacle is primarily juggling all of these things, along with the other responsibilities I now have, of eliminating belongings, getting my cats to my parents and packing and storing.  There will be decisions to make over all of this.  My sister's wedding is also coming up at the end of July and I have yet to figure out my travel and accommodations.  This, however, is the least of my concerns.  Mostly because I think I have it pretty figured out in my head and there's really nothing to decide.  I have to be there.  

The best part is my significantly improved mood and outlook on things.  I've been so lucky to have friends that have rallied around me and have been supportive.  I've had some minor work opportunities to keep me busy as well.  I feel like I'm reintegrating myself into being social butterfly once again.  I just really can't thank everyone enough, for their input, insight, support, friendship and connections.  It feels great, knowing that if you ask, 90% of people are willing to help.  To everyone who has stuck by me and has helped, I'm eternally grateful and hope someday I can return the favour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment