Friday, July 9, 2010

Family Legends and Shorts

Have you ever noticed how in Walker, Texas Ranger that Chuck Norris, a white guy, wears a black hat and his partner, Clarence Gilyard, a black man, wears a white hat.  Just an observation.  I think Walker's right hand man, Jimmy Trivette, was one of my first black crushes when I was a teenager.  Since I grew up without television, I would watch the show when I babysat.  I thought the show was the coolest, ever.  After all, I wanted to be a police officer when I grew up and I even dreamt of being a Texas Ranger (and have a hot black partner who was every bit a gentleman as Trivette).

Family legend has it that a great-great-great-uncle on my mum's side of the family was a Texas Ranger way back in the day.  He came home one day, found his wife in bed with another man, shot him and was never seen from again.  Yep, that is my ancestry.  Very classy.

The best thing to happen so far this week was receiving a box in the mail today.  I am so grateful for my friend who is putting up with Ms. Hissy Face Fiona and took the time to pack some towels and a sheet, a pillow case, running shoes, ibuprofen, my mail and tea and sent it to me.  Oh, and a very important binder with secret information...okay, not really secret, just some notes from previous interviews, etc. that I will need soon.

So apparently, Fiona Hissy Face has not been showing herself when my friend comes over.  But recently she has taken to sitting on the stairs to the second floor and just meoooowws defensively and swipes at him with her claws.  All this from the cat I thought would be the most friendly.  Instead, it is Portia who comes out to play and purr.  I am a little confused as to what to do about Fiona and why she is acting this way.  I know it is because things have been disrupted; I am not there, and she has to deal with a stranger (stranger to her), but I thought of the two kitties, she was the most adaptable.  Any suggestions as to what to do, readers?

In other news, I am wearing....shorts!!  I cannot believe it; I hate shorts.  But, seeing as how I did not pack very well for an extended stay (I have brought several suits and business clothes and have worn only half of them), but I go through my casual clothes pretty quickly, wearing the same thing repeatedly. Not a great idea when it is this hot and I turn into a little ball of sweat and grime.  Since I came here, my face has been the worst and I have mini break-outs; at the end of the day, I just feel this layer of greasy, grimy ickiness and I just want to exfoliate every other hour.  Today is supposed to be 80% humidity.  Anyways, so I bought a cheap pair of shorts for just every day walking around.  

Yep, this is my exciting life.




1 comment:

  1. Yay for shorts! I've been wearing them more lately this summer than ever before. Makes a pretty big difference to my heat tolerance.

    I'm sorry to hear Fiona is being such a hissy face. She must miss you. I don't have any suggestions, though, I'm dealing with a cat who is being a mean old lady herself.

    ReplyDelete