Monday, July 12, 2010

My NYC Style Weekend

It started off Friday night, visiting with my new friend.  She has a really cute, clean and lovely apartment on the Upper East Side.  Not to mention the cutest little pet ferret that I have every had the pleasure of meeting.  Did you know that ferrets sleep almost all day long?  I met her sister-in-law as well, who was coming in to celebrate her first wedding anniversary (her husband was coming in on Saturday morning).  We had pizza at Gino's, down the street, and a few beers.  Then it was time for me to meet a handsome young man for a first date.

He is quite handsome, 25 years old and Bangladeshi.  Or Bengali...I am not sure what they exactly prefer to be called.  After bar hopping around the Upper East Side, a quick trek to see Times Square at night and the South Street Seaport, I finally got home around 5am.  

A short recovery day later, I went to dinner Saturday night with my roommates and a group of their friends.  The funniest part of the evening that I can remember, is being told by one of the guys that when he first saw me, he thought I was going to be a downer throughout the evening, that I would be boring, but in fact, that was not the case.  Ah yes, young man-boy, you have met a self-assured and confident woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to be truthful and straight forward, and not afraid to be who she is.  I am sure this must be a refreshing change from the game-playing, uncertain girls of an early 20-something age.  I remember I used to be the same way.  But it makes me feel that, when I turn 30 next month, I will indeed have earned my third decade badge.  

We ate, we drank, we danced.  I left.  I think I had decided I had had enough and went to meet up with another friend who promptly sat me down, made me drink an espresso and a glass of water, then took me home in a cab.  He had the cab wait while he walked me upstairs and made sure I got inside okay.  A very, very good friend.  I am pretty lucky.

Sunday was spent pretty much in recovery mode.  I went to get coconut water with a few of the guys, then we went to breakfast at the diner whose store front serves as the front for the diner in Seinfeld where Jerry and friends frequent.  The inside is not the same, but the outside is what is used for that shot.  The food comes extremely quickly.  I had half of a bagel and a sausage before I decided that was all that my stomach was going to take.  We watched the World Cup final and afterwards, I made some calls and went for a walk and ate some dinner.

Today was a productive day again, paying bills and returning a bunch of phone calls.  I fielded another random call from a recruiter from a place I had never heard of.  Since I have updated my location information online, I have received several calls in the NYC area.  It's a good sign, I believe.

I really feel like I am ages and universes away from where I was mere months ago.  Today, I removed the ex-man-boy, T, from my Facebook friends.  Yep, so significant, right?  I have not thought about him in a while and while perusing my friends list, took a look at his page and decided that I no longer needed any connection.  He made it clear months ago that I could go eff myself, so....I guess it was just time.  No, T, it isn't that nothing will ever be good enough for me, it's just that you won't be good enough for me.  

Well, that is all for now in the misadventures of an unemployed person...stay tuned for more news soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment