Tuesday, August 10, 2010

House Hunters: Day 3

I am very grateful for having a job, don't get me wrong.  But just getting a job doesn't instantaneously reverse or stop the effects of a lack of employment.  The longer the term of unemployment one serves, the longer the the effects last.  

Moving to Atlanta is a great new start for me and I am really looking forward to it.  I'm excited about my position, my new colleagues and a new city full of new friends, food and fun.  But it all comes at a cost.  I am leaving behind a condo with a mortgage attached and I am unsure when it will be rented.  I sold my car, so now I have to use the barely there transportation system in Atlanta.  This in turn makes a difference as to where I live and the length of my commute and affects my quality of life.  I have to live near a bus or train stop and a grocery store.  My social life will be pretty limited.  I can afford less apartment because of the mortgage and so I'll be downsizing and selling some belongings or donating them.  

I don't tell you this because it is a complaint.  I am telling you because I want you to understand what I am going through.  And if you are also a recovering from unemployment, I am sure that you know what I mean.  The excitement of working again is sometimes overshadowed by the daunting task of getting your life back on track.  

While I was job searching, I always dreamt of all the ways in which I would spend those paychecks: shoes, new clothes, a new car, makeup, dresses, going to nice dinners, a cat tree for the cats, birthday presents for my nieces and more shoes.  And that is just on the first shopping trip.  But in all honestly, it isn't like that.  

Paychecks will pay a mortgage and a rent, medical bills, my credit card balance, a new car (at some future point) and whatever other regular expenses I have.  Normal life won't exactly return for some time.  In the meantime, I am back to a one bedroom apartment with my kitties.

House hunting has presented a plethora of options.  Currently, the top contender is an 850 square foot recently renovated unit in a small, quaint place.  It is tucked away inconspicuously, just like I feel like I would like to be.  It isn't anything near the type of neighbourhood I have come to love.  In fact, quite the opposite.  I do feel a little sad, or maybe more than a little sad, that everything is about to change.  

In the midst of everything good and positive happening, there are still a lot of negative emotions like sadness, loss and loneliness lurking around every corner.  I have come to accept that these are both just part of life and particularly, part of this experience.  

It's kind of like those sweet and salty snacks...delightful.  


3 comments:

  1. have you looked in the Decatur area? Fun part of town. No clue if it's expensive or not, though. You'll definitely have to stop at The Brick Store Pub in Decatur. Trust me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ethan! Decatur is on my list for tomorrow. I will definitely stop by The Brick Store Pub...thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found a job and wish you all the best as you settle in to this new life with all of its different dynamics. Change is hard but usually good!

    ReplyDelete