Friday, August 13, 2010

There's no place like home...

I have been away from "home" for so long now that when I do go back, it doesn't really seem like home to me.  I have been in this hotel room in Atlanta for a week now and it oddly feels like home.  When I was in NYC, wherever I happened to stay, felt relatively like home.  And now, I have my home for my first two and a half weeks in Atlanta booked and signed a lease for my next home after that.  With all this travelling and moving about, I wonder how it will feel to finally be settled in one place.  Such permanency.  

I realized the other day that I am going to be living in the state of Georgia.  How funny that sounded to me when I was thinking about it.  I am going to be a resident of the state of Georgia.  That sounds so different than, hey, I am going to move to Atlanta.  I also realized that I am basically orchestrating a 500 mile move, 4 states away, in about a week.  Seriously.  Below is my list of to do items.  Some are already done, but I guess this is a public exercise in making sure I am not forgetting anything.  But really also a huge thank you to all my friends and family who are making these things possible for me to do "on my own."  I really couldn't do it without so many people.

  1. Find an apartment
  2. Find a place til Sept. 7 because apartment won't be ready until then
  3. Book a rental car to drive down to Atlanta
  4. Pack up my belongings
  5. Figure out what clothes and things I am bringing with me right away
  6. Hire movers and schedule moving
  7. Clean condo
  8. Drive down to Atlanta
  9. Return car to airport and take MARTA to temp housing place
  10. START MY NEW AMAZING AWESOME JOB!!!

I really like step #10 the best.  Really, I do.  Every time I get a little discouraged about the whole process, I just think about starting my dream job on Monday.  If you wonder why I held out so long for a job...well, this is why.  

This whole transition hasn't been easy.  I wasn't sure I would find the right apartment and I found a nice, economical place in a very safe neighbourhood.  One-way rental cars seemed to be exorbitantly expensive and not convenient for me to pick up and drop off.  Then I found a reasonable one within walking distance to pick up and figured I could drop off at the airport and take the train back into town.  The next hurdle was finding temp housing that didn't cost an arm and a leg and was located near enough to public transportation.  And then, I discovered a website that does all the legwork for you, getting bids and finally found a cat-friendly place for only $22 a night, has all the amenities I need, and close to downtown and the MARTA.  

I have worried and fretted over all of these details, but in the end, I realize I haven't been brought this far just to have no place to stay.  Or a way to get in to work.  But seriously, I am ready for a breather.  

Also, I am just really writing this completely uninspired post because I am putting of my task for the day: tackling the MARTA.  So, let me stop writing and get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment