Monday, November 23, 2009

Cell Phones, Chicago and California

I had wanted to attempt a daily post, but alas, my attentions were once again distracted. This time by a full weekend spent with some of my greatest friends. And, the lovely significant other person who made my weekend by hanging out with my friends and me Friday night (graciously putting up with and participating in my crazy antics--finally, someone who doesn't mind them and in fact thinks they are funny), watching the UM/OSU game with me and my friends, taking me to dinner on Saturday night, and having breakfast with me Sunday morning. He is quite lovely, indeed. On my mind today first is my cell phone. I will admit to being "one of those people" who has an iPhone. In retrospect, I wish I'd never bought it. AT&T has bad 3G coverage, I drop calls a LOT and sometimes the phone just doesn't work. Also, the data plan is $30, the 450 minutes is $39.99, unlimited texting is $20. Basic service is $89.99 a month. I now need more than 450 minutes because only one friend I talk to is in the AT&T network that I can talk to for free (I think; I suspect it somehow doesn't really work that way). I need unlimited texting because yes, I really text that much. And the data plan with the iPhone is non-negotiable. With taxes and other nonsense fees, my bill is regularly $110+ a month. So I called AT&T to see if they would work with me, as I'm unemployed and need more minutes to call employers and the answer was pretty much a matter of fact, sorry, you're screwed because you have an iPhone. I can, however, pay to have the 900 minute plan and then get the 10 top people calling feature. Basically you choose 10 people you call the most and it's free to call them. The ridiculous thing is, if I could call those 10 people for free, I wouldn't need 900 minutes now, would I? No. Damn cell phone companies lure you, then lock you in. Until I decide what to do, my heat is staying off so I can handle paying my cell phone bill. Another item on my mind is a promising looking job in Chicago. Let's do a pros/cons list: Pros:
  1. It's a job. The first job I have a decent chance of perhaps getting (at least an interview with) in four months.
  2. It pays roughly what I was making before, plus benefits.
  3. They are a very large company, with tens of billions in assets under management, with about 100 employees...sounds like my kind of firm.
  4. Since they don't pay relo, I wouldn't have to repay it if I left before a year.
  5. I'd be working again. And Chicago isn't a bad city compared to other possible options.
  6. Flights from Chicago to LA are probably less expensive from here to LA.
  7. I could go home more often since it'd only be a 3 hour train ride away.
Cons:
  1. Chicago is really, really cold in the winter. Fierce winds, snow, the whole Arctic nine yards.
  2. They don't pay relocation costs; I'd have to find a really cheap, cheap place to live with 2 cats. That's likely to be relatively tiny.
  3. I'd have to rent out my condo or sell it; if I sell, I'd loose a LOT of money. It might take a while to find a renter, so I'd have to pay a mortgage plus rent in Chicago.
  4. Chicago has a lot higher cost of living than where I am now.
  5. It's not anywhere near my significant other person.
  6. I would have fewer excuses not to go home since it'd only be a 3 hour train ride away.
  7. I know people in Chicago, but haven't spoken to them in a few years. I'd have to make all new friends without really knowing anybody there.
It's going to be a tough, tough choice. There are other considerations here, but they are not for your eyes. Well, it depends on who you are, but mostly I prefer to keep a few personal elements private from all the prying eyes. Last on my mind is California. It's warm, promising and my signficant other person is moving to LA in February. I guess I don't have much more to say than that. Other than, if you have a job for me in LA, I'll take it.

3 comments: