Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Food for Thought

I've done my fair share of complaining, whining and general exhibition of my unhappiness with my unfortunate situation. But as I drove by the local food pantry today and saw the long, long line of people standing out in the cold, waiting for their food, my eyes welled up with tears and my heart literally ached. I all but lost my breath. Yesterday, that local food pantry served over 2,600 families with about 108,000 pounds of food. That's about 7,300 people, about half of whom are children. They were opening again today from 8am til 6pm. Americans, on average, throw away over $600 of food every year. If you had to donate the cost of every food item that you threw out, how much would you donate at the end of the year? I

No comments:

Post a Comment