Thursday, November 12, 2009

Topic Suggestion 1: Crazy, Jesus Freak, Vegan Cat Lady

Today my Facebook status update issued a challenge: suggest a topic, any topic, and no matter how weird, bizarre, normal or mundane, I would write about it and relate it to unemployment. Guaranteed. And if I couldn't, I'd cook you dinner. So expect to see some interesting posts over the next week or however long it keeps going. I may institute a first 10 topic suggestions, depending on how many I get. Here's the first topic: crazy, Jesus freak, vegan cat lady. Unemployment has a way of turning you into a crazy, Jesus freak, vegan cat lady. I know this from experience, in fact. Crazy...well, maybe I wasn't too far from stepping in the crazy pool to begin with. I like to say I'm quirky. My family will readily admit to my crazy. It's there; it's definitely there. I daydream about becoming Secretary of State, where diplomatic matters are conducted in my kitchen, over freshly baked cookies and a glass of milk. I mean seriously, isn't everything made better by fresh cookies and a tall, cold glass of milk? I really think we could solve a lot of foreign diplomacy issues like this. As for the Jesus freak part, I respectfully decline from using this term and prefer to say I am a person of my faith. Crazy has infiltrated every aspect of my life, unemployment having turned all my plans on end, chaos and confusion reigning supreme. Job, a current favourite Biblical character at such a time as this, was advised by Eliphaz the Temanite in Job 22:21, "Acquaint now thyself with Him and be at peace: thereby good shall come unto thee." It's a command that's been a comfort to me. But I also like Job's response in Chapter 23, especially in verse 14: "For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him." I'm up for following Jesus; I wouldn't be able to get through this difficult, Job-esque time in my life without my faith. And now I'm just waiting for the good to come to me. Vegan is theoretically easy to turn into; meat is expensive! I have not, yet, turned into a vegan. It's actually doubtful. I'm quite carnivorous. But, I can see how one would, in times of need and desperation, cut out meat altogether. But there are ways to stretch your meat, rather than eliminate it altogether. Goetta, is for example, one of those ways. But ruining a perfectly good ground beef with a filler such as oatmeal doesn't really sound appetizing either. I remain, staunchly, not-yet-vegan. I just eat more cheap, generic brand cereal and pasta. Lastly, but certainly not least....cat lady!! Did someone just call my name?! I had cats before my unemployment commenced. I have, however, become more of a cat lady, if only in the eyes of my cats (i.e. at home). I refrain from resembling or epitomizing cat lady in public as much as possible. I'm still single. My mum is afraid of me becoming the crazy cat lady who's 50 and has a dozen cats. Yes, she is genuinely afraid of this. I do like to yank her chain a bit by casually mentioning I may get another cat. But since I've been home a lot more often, I find they keep me great company. They follow me around the house, and actually, lately, have been fighting for my attentions. This can really only be interpreted as a sign that I am a true cat lady. So...let me bask in being a crazy, person of faith, not-yet-vegan, cat lady. And thank you, MJ, for the topic suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap, you actually did it (except goetta is ground pork, not beef... porkopolis, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks WestEnder! And I will note for future, it's pork, not beef :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "scrapple" is beef,maybe with corn meal instead of oats, same idea though. Just thought you might be interested in knowing that little tidbit.
    During my unemployment, I started baking bread every week as a way of stretching the budget and filling the time. I soon realized how theraputic it was too. Nice job w this post!

    ReplyDelete