Sunday, November 8, 2009

This is MY blog, you can't lay me off!

Does that title make sense? Meh, oh well. I know what I mean. I had no control over being laid off, but I certainly have control over my blog. I like having control. I will admit to being a control freak. But a nice, not crazy, control freak. I promise.
Well, it's been about 4 months since I was let go from my job from a very small company. I feel lost, dazed, confused and unsure of myself or where I'm about to go and what I should be doing. I'm like a missing person. My motivation, self-confidence and usual aplomb in life are all missing! Where, oh where, did they go? I requested their pictures be placed on milk cartons, but alas, even the milk carton people did not think they could be found. I didn't think it could or would happen to me. I'm successful, funny, smart, hard-working and I love diversity in the workplace. I'm the perfect employee. I love to manage people and I'm really good at it. Plus, I cook and bake things to bring in to the office. 'd give Martha Stewart a run for her money. Martha, let's have a competition. I'll host a party. You host a party. Let's see whose party is better. I never wondered, til now, what unemployed people do with all that time! 24 full hours, every day, of not having to do anything! It was at first, blissful. Well, okay, that was after I spent the weekend moping, crying and angry. Yes, I was let go on a Friday morning. Everyone knows you should do it on a Monday, but whatever. Reality is slowly setting in. And so, I've been wondering, if you're unemployed, how did you know how to file for unemployment, how to fill your time, how to get support from loved ones, who would understand your plight, who could you talk to about how you feel, and aren't there any support groups for this awful disease called unemployment? And really, didn't you want to kick the hell out of something or someone? Did you? I want to hear from you. Oh, you'll be hearing from me. I'll let you know what I do from day to day. And, TLC, if you're reading, I want my own reality show about my unemployed life here in the Midwest. I can't believe you, or some other network, doesn't have a reality show about an unemployed person yet. TLC, you can be the first.

2 comments: