Monday, November 9, 2009

Landing a Job Like Getting into Harvard

If Samuel Sherradan is correct, my odds don't look too promising either way (click blog title for article on CNN.com). After finding myself unhappy in my accidental career, I sought the advice of career counselor David Goodenough of the Goodenough Company. He suggested that I was actually an adventurous, free-spirited type. And, he concluded, I was under-educated for my intellect. I kind of like the sound of that. He suggested the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard. I am in the process of applying and studying for the GRE for the second time in my life. But after reading this article by Mr. Sherradan, I wonder if it is better that I sell all my belongings, find a new home for the cats, and wander the world like a vagabond until the job market improves. While trying to comprehend the staggering statistic of 30 million underemployed, discouraged and unemployed human beings in the United States, I discovered what else 30 million stands for:
  • 30 million iPhones sold by early 2009
  • Google's Chrome browser now boasts 30 million users.
  • Firefox gained 30 million users in 8 weeks
  • There are over 30 million users on Facebook
  • Novartis, a Swiss drugmaker, is sending the U.S. 30 million H1N1 vaccine shots
  • 30 million Americans cannot get insurance
Well, I know that sums up my life: I use my iPhone to make calls to recruiters, try to find how I can get affordable health insurance, search for health clinics where I can get the H1N1 vaccine using Firefox, then I update my Facebook status using Google Chrome. Mr. Sherradan, what are my chances of finding a job and getting into Harvard?

No comments:

Post a Comment