Sunday, December 20, 2009

Manicotti - Unemployed Style

Once upon a time I bought manicotti tubes and some ricotta cheese...not in the same shopping trip. But, I needed to use the ricotta before it went bad and I have been daydreaming about making some kind of manicotti with it. So, I read several recipes and then made up my own recipe. You may attempt this at home, but at your own risk; I use my own measurement system. Also, I am on a do not shop until absolutely necessary kick, so I used what I already had in my house. Enough chicken breasts--like 2-4 depending on their size. A big thing of Ricotta cheese Parmesan Cheese Spices A large dollop and half of sour cream Onion, roughly chopped Garlic, peeled and roughly chopped Peppercorns a lemon First, boil the chicken with spices (I used celery salt, a little bay leaf, garlic powder because I didn't have garlic cloves), onion, garlic and lemon (halved). You don't need to boil too long because the chicken will be cooking more later on. Once boiled, chop the chicken into rough cubes, preferably small. You can save the water from the boiling process, strain the onions etc. out and pour it into salsa jars that you have saved. After cooled, freeze. Use it later to make risotto or soup or other things. Combine the chicken cubes with the sour cream, all of the ricotta, parmesan cheese (quantity is up to you but I used a lot). Put in some spices such as oregano, basil, garlic powder. I also used a smidge of mustard powder. Okay, so...I've actually completed up to here. I have put it in the fridge and tomorrow will finish the process and this is what I'll likely do: Boil the manicotti tubes and then let them cool. Once cooled, stuff with the ricotta/chicken mixture. I will probably only bake two-four tubes at a time. I am not a huge fan of leftovers, but I am a huge fan of ready to assemble and cook/bake and eat. I doubt ricotta would freeze well, so I won't freeze them. For the sauce, I'm either going to do a bechamel sauce and add in tomato sauce or maybe I'll do an alfredo sauce mixed with pesto, or kind of a diavolo sauce. This remains to be determined. Then I'll bake the tubes as I feel like eating them, at 400 degrees F for just long enough. Eat with garlic bread. And that, my friends, is how I cook. I will post a picture as soon as I have one.

1 comment:

  1. I love it - a little of this, a big thing of ricotta, whatever you have, and for just long enough - a good cook can do that.

    ReplyDelete