Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ok, who writes this stuff?

And worse, who believes it?! Do we really trust the status of our relationship to an online mag? Click on the title of this post to read the article. I'm astounded that cnn.com even carried this, and worse that some poor, unconfident person somewhere is defining their relationship by this. Please, let me discuss the "13 signs your relationship is doomed." Please, readers, I beg for your comments...am I off base?
  1. You're a lot smarter than he is. Now this, I do not necessarily agree with. Not all men are so insecure that they cannot stand that you know more than they do about any one thing. I'm sure I know more about...cooking, than my significant other. He's really smart, as smart as I am, I am just a lot nerdier. I like that I don't have to come home to have a super nerdy conversation after a super nerdy day at work or with my friends who like to discuss the social implications of violence against women in movies and media (God bless these friends, I could not survive without them), but know that if I want to discuss esoteric financial instruments, he can keep up with me. I do, however, agree that pea soup for brains...not so attractive.
  2. Residual immaturity. I don't know about this one. I dated a wonderful man who had a huge comic book collection. Of course, I didn't learn about this immediately, but it was kind of cute and he really liked reading graphic novels and such. He did not, however, spend an inordinate amount of time doing such things, but I think it's healthy and okay, to have some kind of outlet. Now, if he blows off adult responsibilities for inane, childish things...he's avoiding or just can't handle responsibilities. Make sure you know which one before you call it quits. Maybe he's just going through a rough time and needs a mindless outlet. Maybe he's avoiding you.
  3. Differing opinions an A) Meal responsibility and B) palate. Okay, I speak from current experience...and past experience. My man does not like seafood, just like I do not like seafood. I like this because I don't have to painfully and politely excuse myself from any sushi-related commitments or be embarrassed that I'm the only one that doesn't like the shrimp appetizer ordered for everyone. But my man also thinks it's a burden for me to cook for him, but I love to cook. He's so sweet and understands that taking care of him and cooking for him occasionally is something I need to do. And when he wants fast food instead of my cooking, I'm not offended. I tend to think I have a slightly more refined palate than he does...but you know I love me some grilled cheese and soup! I have foodie friends with whom I can be all foodie with. And, I know plenty of happily coupled vegetarians and omnivores. This is probably, most certainly, one of the most ridiculous things on this list.
  4. Grooming, bathing, hygiene take a back seat. Okay, that's not positive. I've noticed (and so has my SO) that I don't clean up the house for him as much as I used to. Is it over between us? Far from it! I decided he needs to have a realistic look at how I really do live. I'm not a slob, but I'm not like the hugest neat/clean freak ever (and that probably relieves him a wee bit). But, girls and boys, clean up your act!
  5. Girl-cations and man-cations. My SO takes a yearly man-cation with his besties. He is also taking a little vacation to the Sugar Bowl (lucky) for NYE. Meh...yes, I was a little hurt that he didn't want to make it a priority to stay here with me, but who are we kidding. I'd have gone to the Sugar Bowl too! Also, we hadn't made any plans. I do think it's healthy for any relationship, no matter what level or status, to have time with your besties. Hopefully, next May when man-cation rolls around, I will still be with him. If I am and he announces he is going to Cancun once again with the boys, I will sneak a little love note in his luggage and tell him to have a good time. Absence certainly does make the heart grow fonder. And if I decide to go on a little rendezvous with my girls...I'm certainly not coming back only to announce I hate him. I'd lay the biggest kiss on him and tell him how much I've missed him.
  6. TV in the bedroom. I'm not a big fan of this for multiple reasons, but I know my man likes to lay in bed watching tele....particularly football. After doing this with him once, I certainly agree. It's all about boundaries and making the commitment not to let it interfere with things best not interfered with...like, no laying in bed watching tele when you should be cleaning your totally crusted-over bathroom. Fortunately, he does not do this. But if you do find that you let TV rule, no matter where in the house it is...you might have a problem on your hands.
  7. Having rugrats. Or ankle-biters. Such a lie! I plan on being the hottest mom/wife I can possibly be (hot being defined not by plastic or silicone). Why do we women get out of taking care of ourselves after we are married or have children? That gives your man a license to do the same. Make a commitment to yourself that you will not let this happen. Romance can, and should, still happen after kiddos. Your relationship should come before your kids (yes, I said it and I believe it). And kids definitely do not doom your relationship. If it does, you are just lazy.
  8. Using the bathroom in each others' presence. Okay, I agree that this should not be done. Do leave some mystery. If this starts happening....start caring.
  9. King size beds. Mmm...not so much. I think someone was mandated with a "come up with 13 things" and just couldn't come up with anything for #9. Seriously? King size beds? Use your imaginations people. I'm pretty sure a king size bed is not going to keep you from your partner if you really are dedicated to resolving any disagreements.
  10. Half-truths to girlfriends. I have learned from experience that you should only ever tell your gal pals the good stuff! When you repeatedly verbalize bad things about your partner to your friends, don't be surprised when you feel contempt or unhappiness. Choose to honor and respect your man at all times. The constant, "he didn't do this... he didn't do that... he does that and I hate it... " etc. not only wears down any respect your friends have for him, but that you have for him as well.
  11. A drastic change in appearance. ha ha. So, I am one of those girls who makes drastic changes after a bad relationship. This reminds me last night when I was explaining why I am an unconventionally attractive person, in part because of my curly hair and most men do not like curly hair, my wonderful man's response was (paraphrased), "I don't see why that makes a difference. I've been with girls who have ten different hairstyles in three months. Why would having curly hair make a difference." Of course, I also remember warning him that if I ever seriously changed my hair, it was a bad sign. If I'm in a healthy relationship and I change my hair drastically, it probably just means I've had the same one for three years and I'm bored with it. If I'm in a bad relationship...I just wait til it's over and make the changes. I can see, however, how drastic changes may signal something wrong.
  12. Momma's boy or Daddy's little girl. I admit, I think this is pretty serious and certainly a red flag. I want a man who thinks for himself, don't you? Sure, he might have a good, close relationship with his mum and that's a great guide to how he's going to treat you, but do you have to have a certain type of wedding ceremony or send your kids to a certain school because that's what his mother wants and he doesn't want to disappoint his mother? That means he's not as concerned about disappointing you. That is definitely a problem. This is probably one of the only things on this list that I would absolutely never put up with and don't think you should either, for any reason.
  13. "Oops, I mean..." moments. I don't think I've ever had this happen to me. I'd probably not be very happy. It's definitely a problem. I think if it happened, it should be discussed. And indeed, it might be the impetus for the end.

So I know I used my SO as a positive example in many of these. Are we perfect? No, definitely not. We have had some disagreements and such. As I've stated before, I have no idea where it's going, but it's going well right now. There's always compromise and flexibility needed in a relationship. If your partner is not willing to bend a little or you're not willing to bend, you should probably examine why not. I just really hate these lists, because mindless little people (some are known as teenagers) read these lists and think, "Oh, no! He doesn't like peanut butter...I LOVE peanut butter. It's all over!" Okay, well, hopefully really no one believes that having a king size bed is really a rational reason for believing your relationship is doomed.

If you do, please refer to #1.

2 comments:

  1. I love a good list, and I don't think you're off base about the unconfident, mindless, or teenagers. These are the kinds of articles that get written and re-written for every mag, every issue. CNN couldn't help but pick up the story at some point. You may quite your worries by realizing that most of the folks you're concerned about will go straight to The Frisky for their relationship advice. Too bad, though -- looks like CNN has a lot more to offer, from marrying for health insurance and how to handle getting a bad gift.

    As for your discussion, I agree, except for #5. That has more to do with how resources are shared and how it's perceived between the two of you. I am in complete agreement on #10 -- that's just showing respect for your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, thanks! I agree with you on #5...there are a lot of perspectives one could take on it. If we both had limited time/money and could only take one vacation...I would prefer he take it with me, especially if we were in a serious relationship. Great comment!

    ReplyDelete