Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Topic Suggestion #3: Sweaty Armpits

It's true, I have them. Sweaty armpits, that is. Well, until I come home to my sub-zero home. I fully expect to have icicles hanging from my exposed ducts. Yes, actually, they are supposed to be exposed, for aesthetics. But it's getting cold here in this city and I am trying to keep my heating bill down, so I have been trying (some days rather unsuccessfully) to keep my heat off, or at least at 60 degrees. No sweaty armpits at 60 degrees. Or, one would think. But, when you're unemployed, and in my situation, there are so many things to sweat over. Over all the times you really want to do things with your friends, but it costs money. Over those phone interviews, when your whole life, and budget, depends on you making money in the near future. Over the perfect rental candidate who came to view your condo, hoping he will bring his roommate to view the place, indicating serious interest in renting it so you don't have to pay the full mortgage any more. Over the handsome man, who increases your core body temp the minute you see him smiling, laughing, teasing you, giving you advice, being your rock when you really need him to be and because he makes you so happy and you can't wait to know everything, absolutely everything, about him even if it takes years or forever. You like forever, and it kinda gives you sweaty armpits. In a weird, romantic sort of way. Every time I open my mailbox, I get sweaty armpits too. This is definitely not due to romantic expectations. It's that nagging bill for the CAT scan I had due to a concussion given by some random person I didn't know while I didn't have health insurance. I can't bring myself to pay the $835 hospital fees, nevermind the radiologist and whatever else fees. I didn't even get drugs during the visit! And speaking of not having health insurance, that gives me sweaty armpits. I avoid people, unsafe people that I don't know, because I don't have health insurance. I've learned my lesson. Just thinking about all the options laying ahead of me gives me sweaty armpits. Grad school, moving, not moving, and the one I have the least control over: jobs. Feeling powerless over my future causes me to sweat. Nervousness induced sweaty armpits happen to be the worst. You have the sneaking suspicion that if you were to lift your arm, the world would see those sweat-stained armpits. And then, you are glad you're not in school where you might want to raise your hand. I'd have to get over my fear of speaking in class without raising my hand. But then, those sweaty armpits that I most desire to have: the ones caused by standing in front of the HKS building on my first day of classes. The ones induced by someone asking me to move to LA with him. The sweaty armpits you get, standing in front of a room of old men CEOs, while you, a petite and young woman, tell them how you will run their non-profit successfully. I'd love to have those sweaty armpits. The power and excitement induced sweaty armpits you get when you realize you're on top of the world. I wonder if I'll ever have that kind, ever again.... This post is for KC, in honour of her 33rd birthday. Thanks, KC, for the topic suggestion.

3 comments:

  1. What a great blog post! You are quite talented - to pair my totally bizarre suggestion with a variety of appropriate context. I wish you well in your search for work and happiness in life - by the sounds of this gentleman you've found, it sounds like you're half way there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have my heat on either. It's not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete