Friday, December 18, 2009

Penny for my Thoughts?

If only...I'd be rich. But then I wonder if I'd have to report that as income on my weekly unemployment benefits claim questionnaire? Hmm... I am a fan of Facebook. A few of my friends might call me an addict. It makes me laugh, rarely makes me cry, informs me of major life events in my friends' lives and today, it revealed how many of my women friends have wonderful boyfriends or husbands or partners. It makes me happy to know that the special men or women in their lives surprise them occasionally by making dinner, putting up the Christmas tree or just cleaning up the house. It's good to see them happy and secure in their relationships and I enjoy the affirmation that there are wonderful, thoughtful people out there. I'm also thinking about the very creative ways in which one who is unemployed might possibly wrap presents without having to buy a single roll of wrapping paper. I did, in fact, buy one 99 cent roll. But while I was in the dollar store, I began thinking of the random things I have around my house, unused, that I could use for wrapping. I find myself more frequently lately, racking my brain while at the store, thinking of the things I have at home...whether it's food items or extra things that could be used as little extras on gifts, or potential wrapping paper or boxes, outfits rarely worn...so that I don't have to spend money. I realised that so often, I just buy something without thinking of alternatives that I already have at home. I no longer always look for quality when I shop for myself (depending on the item of course--you just can't go with a cheap piece of steak); I seek quantity and value. I have always, always loved to grocery shop. Likely because my father was a food broker for 23 years and he loves the retail industry and well, I guess it just rubbed off. I learned from him to look at the tags on the shelf and determine which size item is the best value. No, I do not automatically buy what is least expensive or higher in quantity. For example, at a certain not to be named store, I found that buying the single sponge for 88 cents was a better value than buying the six count package. Now, I know I'm going to use 6 sponges eventually, but it's more cost effective to buy them one at a time...or six individual sponges at once. I have no idea why, but I get the biggest kick out of this. Probably because I know the stores aren't going to pull one on me. Also, I am part Dutch and we love a good deal. Tonight is Friday night. I'm staying in this evening, eating leftovers, wishing I had a cheap bottle of wine to cap off the week, organizing Christmas gifts to be wrapped or sent, thinking... about a lot of things. I am one of the lucky ones. God has been generous to me in the talent department and given me intelligence, pluck and strength. He forgot patience, but He is certainly teaching me now. I have amazing friends, cheering me on from the side lines and sometimes they step in to pinch hit for me. I have two beautiful nieces who I adore, and two crazy, fun sisters. I'm also daughter to a domestic diva who taught me more than she knows, and a dad who never let me know what we didn't have growing up. Someday, I hope to have a family of my own. I will have so much to teach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment