Sunday, December 13, 2009

Time for a New Chapter

And I'm not talking about in the novel that I'm writing. With a new year staring me straight in the whites of my eyes, and with many impending changes in my life, I feel like a new chapter is soon to begin. I believe there is bittersweet with every chapter in life. It means an old chapter is drawing to an end and this may mean the end to a job, a relationship, a friendship or other things that had once been sources of great happiness or even trouble. But a new chapter begins, full of possibilities and may mean the start of those same things...a job, a new relationship and new friendships that will now supply our lives with happiness. There are a few possibilities at the beginning of my new chapter: maybe a roommate, some possible job opportunities and I know, many friendships waiting to be formed. In January I will also start an amazing year long leadership program as well as continue leading a group of young adults for my third year in a row in a volunteer program. I know someone near and dear to me will be moving to another state; whether this is merely a geographical separation or not remains to be determined. While sad, I know it's just the beginning of the rest of my life and I'll be forever grateful for the kindness, respect and consideration I've always received. And the memories of being the happiest I've been will remain etched in my heart. And perhaps, I'll have more of that to look forward to. What is constant and abiding? As a dear friend of mine always says, "Adapt and overcome." There's only one thing we can do with each turn of the page, with each new chapter: look for the lesson you learned from each situation, adapt to new ways of thinking and experiencing and overcome future obstacles with what you have learned and experienced. I have had one great heartbreak in my life. This is not because I was so in love or because he deserved my love; in fact, he did not. It was so heart-wrenching because I was so naive and I had planned the rest of my life on him and he treated me so ungraciously, to be euphimistic. But today, a mere two and a half years later, I realise that I draw on that experience so frequently and with less of a knee-jerk reaction than I used to. I understand all the worst in men because of him. It was indeed, a hard lesson to learn and my heart bears the scars, but I'm glad I learned it when I did. I've had my share of bad bosses and managers and job situations. But now I know what I want from a job, a manager, a work environment. And I'm grateful for my first two bosses of my professional experience; they were more amazing than I had ever realised. I'd never be where I am now without them. If I had never lost my job, I'd never learn to rely on others. I'd never know the truest, sincerest expressions of gratitude. I have now had almost 5 straight months of introspection, transformation and mental and emotional recovery. I'm ready for my new chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment