Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 2 in NYC: Trains, trains and more trains!

Today it literally took me 2 hours to get into the city, where I wanted to be.  First, a bus ride to the train station.  Then the Q train which was first held up because of a police investigation at a further up stop, was detoured to the R train route because of a sick passenger, which then became an express, so I had to get off at Canal Street (think fake purses).  I transferred to the N, up one stop then to the L, up one stop, then walked a few blocks and finally....I am at the NY Public Library.  And, just as I had unpacked everything, to start working, I realise I have to use the facilities (will have to wait) and the recruiter who promised to call me, called (will call back when I am able).  I am in a quiet area of the library so I cannot use my phone and I do not really want to pack everything up again to go use the restroom.  Note to self: after 2 hours on the train, use the first restroom possible.

Yesterday, my first full day in the city was indeed a full day.  After a phone call, I headed out into the great unknown, not really knowing which train I should take.  I had a destination in hand: The Fulton Street Station, to meet someone for lunch.  I got on the bus to go to the train station and I had correct change...but in bills, so the bus driver let me on for free.  He was a nice bloke.  I figured out which trains I needed to take and arrived perfectly safely and even early.  It was really not as hard as I had imagined.

After lunch, I chilled at a friend's tiny apartment in The Village, made some calls and took a nap.  The City makes me incredibly tired.  And I had sleep to catch up on.  Once he made it home, we chilled some more and then went to dinner...a very delightful little bistro on the corner.  After a nice long, unrushed dinner in lovely company, he walked me to the train station and made sure I knew where I was going and all that.

I finally made it to bed around 11:30pm, just to wake up at 7:45 this morning and do it all over again.  I made some new contacts and have another possible lead on renting my condo.  It will all work out soon, I am assured by everyone.  In the meantime, I am glad I can enjoy and adjust to the city a little bit, before having to work.  So far, I am enjoying my time, even though I am quite tired and haven't had coffee in 2 days.  

I'm thinking I will have to add coffee to the agenda tomorrow.  

1 comment:

  1. No coffee??!! How are you surviving? Glad you're there safely, and hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete