Monday, June 28, 2010

Holy Catfish Batman

Heavens to Mergatroid.  Today has required a heroine-like patience, endurance and determination.  Fortunately, I am Sunshine Super Girl and this was...is...will be...possible.  Let's take a look at my day.

8:57 - Wake up and decide to go to Starbucks for coffee and wi-fi, do some work.

9:05 - Discover that there are only 2 Starbucks on Coney Island.  Also check out where the local Bed Bath and Beyond stores are located; Coney Island store will be an hour and half bus trip away.  Decide to pick up air mattress for new room at the locations 15 minutes by subway away from new place after I check in to the new room Tuesday night.  Consider going mattress-less for a night since I don't have sheets anyways, but decide a 15 minute trip is not that bad.

9:34 - Talk to hostess to let her know that I will be out of her place Tuesday evening and let her know my schedule for the day.  Opt not to take a shower because walking to bus and from bus to Starbucks is going to be sweaty anyways.  Bus ride includes sitting behind a girl who constantly did, undid, redid her hair, over and over and over until I had to shut my eyes because it was giving me a headache.  Cursed myself for not eating before I left. 

9:58 - Discover that Starbucks is a drive-thru only.  Curse.  Curse again.  Curse more, very loudly.  Decide to take the N train to an undetermined stop and find a coffee shop. Start thinking about cost of shipping items from home to NYC versus cost of buying a towel and some sheets.

10:34 - Depart on N train and decide on Canal Street after waiting 15 minutes for it to leave the station.  Feeling sticky, sweaty and putrid not to mention exhausted.

11:37 - Get off subway, look for Starbucks on the highly distracting Canal Street.  Figure out the beta walking directions on Google Maps for iPhone are always wrong.  Roll eyes and try to suck it up.  Heroine-like patience instituted immediately.  Walk back the way I came from.

11:48 - Discover that I walked by Starbucks less than 100 yards away from subway exit.  Curse.  Patience nearly completely evaporated.  Must re-fuel with caffeinated, iced beverage before all sanity is lost. 

12:02 - Imbibe caffeine filled, sugary coffee on ice.  Feel very sweaty and decide a shower this evening is a must.  Smell myself and groan.  

12:06 - Discover one must pay for wi-fi in Starbucks, wonder how I did not know this before.  Use iPhone to look for nearest library which is .6 miles away in Chinatown. Decide to talk to oldest sister and niece for a while.  Suddenly want to burst into tears because I miss my cats so much.  Yes, Cat Lady, I am.

12:45 - Leave Sbux and walk through the very crowded streets of Chinatown and find library.  Faint smell of fish everywhere makes me want to gag.  Still have not eaten today.  

12:57 - Arrive at library and find it overrun with children.  Very loud children.  Inquire about restroom and told it is out of order (bladder gets extreme workout here).  "Quiet" work area is crowded, and I only find it after going upstairs, run into roped off area, go downstairs, find elevator only for disabled people, finally find stairs to crowded basement area.  I am the only non-Asian.  I can't find a seat near an outlet.

1:08 - Finally get logged onto blog, extremely slow internet.  Look around and see an Asian man watching half naked white women twist themselves into all sorts of contortions via YouTube.  Think I have landed in the Twilight Zone.  Wish my friend EB and I could have a drink this evening and laugh about the craziness.

1:12 - Consider going straight back to Coney Island, still haven't accomplished anything for the day, but decided writing a blog post is way better.  Feeling shaky after only having caeffeine for the day so far.

1:28 - Get a call from Atlanta stating the potential contract position turned into a full time position, but I am still wanted.  Brain, emotions go into overload.  A job.  A real, live, full time, benefits included, relo included job with someone I have always loved working with, not in NYC, job.  

1:38 - Happy on one level, must reposition thinking, need to use a restroom, am hungry, must make major decisions, miss cats. 

1:43 - Decide to leave crazy library to find working restroom and just think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment