Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm not gonna lie...

...my bedroom looks like it is the only part of the house I have inhabited in the last week, except the occasional visit to the kitchen.  I have had a weird sleep cycle lately where I don't fall asleep until at least 2am, and then sleep til about 10 or 10:30, then nap in the afternoons or late evenings.  I also have this lovely ceiling fan, that I think is the best improvement ever made to my condo.  Since it is so hot out and I don't want to turn on the AC until I am miserable, the ceiling fan is awesome.  

I grew up without AC and think my parents finally installed it either when I was in college or perhaps after I left the house, I am not quite sure.  Also, when I studied abroad in Brasil, I was a mere 4 degrees from the equator, and while it was rainy season, it was still very warm and very humid.  There was no AC in my host family's house either.  So, it takes a little bit to get me way over heated, grouchy and irritable.  And I am not gonna lie... it gives me the excuse to wear the barest minimum which is usually just a sundress or shorts and a tank.  I learned in Brasil, when it is hot out, less is better.

Today I made some great progress on establishing my soon to be presence in NYC.  I connected with a Compliance recruiter there and we agreed to meet up once I was in town.  I also have a colleague in Jersey City who I can drop in on, and a recently made friend of mine offered to introduce me to a friend of his, who is a Risk Analyst in the city.  And a high school friend of mine who is totally awesome and amazing, is seeing if she can have someone in NYC host me while I am there.  What great friends I have!

I will also soon have a new business card, designed by a very prestigious designer friend of mine.  I am really excited about this and I should have done it before.  But soon, I will be all set to go take a bite out of the Big Apple!  Tomorrow I am going to get two pairs of pants hemmed, and I have already brought my shoes in to be cleaned, polished and re-heeled.  I can't tell you how many times I have had those two pairs of shoes re-heeled.  They have definitely served me well and I may need to retire them soon if I can find suitable replacements.  Perhaps while I am in NYC....hmm....

I am just really excited that I am taking a big, brave step.  Even if it doesn't work out, or I end up elsewhere (say, Atlanta!), I will know that I took a great giant step forward, for myself.  Also, it just never hurts to have contacts and connections in NYC.  I keep looking back at the trail of events over the past few weeks and months and see it all leading up to this point.  There is a reason I have met some people I have met recently.  It seems as though the last few months (last 10 in fact) have just prepared me for this trip, and for this point in my life.  I wouldn't be tough enough to do this if it weren't for going through some terribly rough stuff and getting constant affirmations from those who support me.

The week might have started out a little sideways, but it has righted itself.  And, I'm not gonna lie...the best part is that tomorrow, I get to go get my hair cut!  It's like a pseudo trip to the spa, just having someone play with my hair....love it!  But for now, all is as it should be: me, in my minimal clothing, laying under a ceiling fan, working and writing, big fluffy P-cat laying by my side and little Fifi staring at something in the corner....ah....life!  The good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment