Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My 4pm meeting for today was rescheduled for tomorrow, so now I feel like I can take the time to write some musings about New York City.  

I was not so amused last night when I pulled off my heels.  They were a comfortable, well worn in, old heels which were lovingly reheeled and polished just for the occasion of interviews and such.  But my toes were (and even after overnight rest, still are) little fat sausages (mini ones).  I didn't take my flats yesterday so since I invariably turn in the wrong direction when I get off the subway and end up walking away from my destination and have to double back (once it took me at least 7 or 8 blocks (blocks are no joke here, they can be quite long) and I stood and walked around for hours at a conference exhibit hall, by the time I got on the subway, someone was going to have to fight me for a seat if it came down to it.  Fortunately, it did not.  Note to self: wear flats until you arrive at final destination.

There are tons of people in the city.  Of course.  But did you know there are more short people than I have ever seen anywhere else?  And more people with curly hair too?  I find myself ogling short people and people with curly hair.  I have yet to notice a short, curly haired person though.  People like ME!  It's so fun.  Normally, back in the Midwest, short people kind of flock together if there happen to be 2 or more at any gathering.  Here, we don't even acknowledge each other.  There is just no brother/sisterhood of the shortness.  And the curly haired people, I am just fascinated with how they do (or don't do) their hair.  Frizziness, perfect waves, tight little curls, long hairstyles...it just makes me feel more acceptable for having curly hair.  I was even so bold this morning as to decide against straightening my hair for the meeting that was rescheduled.  Well, the fact that it is supposed to be hot and humid (outrageously) today, I figured the curls would stand up better in those conditions.  

I observe, observe and learn from my observes.  I watch what people wear, eat, how they walk, stand on the train, swipe their cards, facial expressions (mostly a lack thereof), shoes, talk on the phone....everything.  This is the best way to figure out how to blend in.  I still am, however, the girl that makes a comment to the other person in line, compliments her fellow bus passenger on her dress and cheerfully says "Thank you" to the (quite surprised) bus driver.  I insert a little bit of me where I can.  You just never know who you're going to be chatting with.  

A day into my foray into The City, I made my first celebrity siting: David Blane on his motorcycle.  Of course, my friend had to point him out to me and honestly, I am just not impressed or wowed by most celebrities, but particularly unimpressed by him.  

What else.... I feel hot and sticky by the time I get home every day.  The train that leaves from Coney Island is pretty nice and new and has a nice electronic thing that shows you what stop is next, etc.  Very easy to read and follow.  The rest of the trains don't really have this though.  I see kids who I think cannot be old enough to walk around the city by themselves doing just that.  

Since my meeting today was rescheduled, I think I will work on finding a place to sublet for the next month...yes, I am staying for another month.

No comments:

Post a Comment