Friday, June 25, 2010

On today's menu, leftover vegetable pasta with sundried tomato alfredo sauce, chicken nuggets and popcorn.  I would love, love, love some ice cream to top off the 5 food groups, but you know...by the time I walked back from the store with it, it would have melted.  Tomorrow, I have promised myself ice cream or maybe a gelato pop.  Since I will be on the Upper West Side somewhere anyways, might as well try a gelato pop.

So, this whole housing thing... an adventure in craigslist tomfoolery.  Today I responded to an ad with a nice living room available; it was near Union Square and large enough to have a queen size bed in one corner.  It looked cute, but I needed to know more about the occupant; something didn't quite vibe with me.  Turns out he is a 62 year old man who...wait, here you go:

I'm honestly looking for a committment of at least 2 months, because this process of finding someone is rather tedious...On the other hand if you are willing to pay me $1500.00 for the month of July I can overlook the 2 month issue...I'm 62..have been doing this to help pay my rent for the last 14 months...Times are tough...My last 4 roomies have all been females between the ages of 22 & 35...I have a small dog that lives with me in the apt...Its a great location...

Umm...yeah, no thanks.  Pass.  I went to look at an apartment yesterday in Park Slope (did I mention this already?).  4 guys lived there and the stench emanating from the place, particularly in the basement where the room was located, was unbearable.  It was beat up, some of the cupboards were falling off hinges and in general, it was a hot mess...if I may introduce southern terminology to New York City.  Pass.

Let's see...oh yes, the "we'll mail you the keys" scam which my kind hostess warned me about.  Super cheap place in (insert desirable area here) because the family had to leave urgently for (insert random country here), and they are looking for someone who would care for the place as their own, so that is why it is reduced rent.  

Tomorrow I go to see a place where two 26 year old guys dwell and have just lost their roomie, Amy, to a job in Jersey.  The room won't be furnished, but Amy wants to sell her bed, desk and desk chair.  Well, I am sorry, but I do not want to buy Amy's bed, desk or desk chair.  Still, it could be a place to crash for a month, even if I don't have a bed.  

I am also expecting to hear from a girl on Monday to check out her room in an apartment she shares with 2 other girls.  This is my best option (I think) but she is away this weekend and invited me to come see the place on Monday.  

It seems like a lot of work, constantly checking craigslist, juggling the addresses, viewings, determining what is a scam and what isn't, and posting my own ads, looking for a place.  I even posted something on CouchSurfing, to see if anyone might have any solutions for me. 

Do I worry?  Yes and no.  Worry is just a little gremlin that goes by the name Limiting Belief that just needs to be squished.  Then he hangs his head in defeat and sulks away.  I am sure something will come up and I won't be completely homeless, right?

As for the weekend and what I'll be doing: it will probably involve good food and perhaps a glass of vino.  I'm certain I will be flying solo, but that's alright.  I guess I am going to have to learn how to do that in this big city where I am starting to understand why it's so hard to get to know people.

And now...I am so sleepy, I think I shall find something else to do.  Like sleep.






No comments:

Post a Comment