Friday, February 19, 2010

Be Happy!

A friend of mine emailed me an article entitled, Nine Tips for Feeling Happier When You've Lost Your Job--Or Fear You Might.  Other than being a mouthful... the title intrigued me. 

The only one that I particularly disagree with at first is #7: Be wary of treating yourself.  But I see the point and have actually  practiced this.  I have indulged my inner foodie with a little too much, had that extra glass of wine, bought the gorgeous 4" gold heels...and then, felt fat, had a hangover and sadly returned those beautiful little bitty heels that would have gone great with my gorgeous gams.  Have I ever mentioned my love of alliteration?

But there are things you can, and should, do to treat yourself.  I spend an extra 10 minutes in the shower when I deign to take one.  I don't pay for water, it warms me up and it relaxes me.  Buy that awesome song on iTunes because it keeps you pumped up.  I recommend Can't Box Me In by Honor Society.  Get out and dance, put on your pretty party dress, grab your girls and go... 

One of the best things I did for myself recently was get rid of my cable.  Sure, I'll miss the Golden Girls, but I still dream about them at night (true story: Dorothy and I were hot on the trail of a murderer last night). But...guess what I'm doing instead?

I applied to the local culinary institute.  I want to learn flambe.  No, really.  Setting fire to food is a talent.  I invented a blog so I can write whatever the hell I want to.  I'm blasting and bopping around to loud music during the day, singing at the top of my lungs to my favourite songs.  I dance around with my cats til they puke (another true story) and I can't stop laughing.  I never make up my bed...okay, so that's not really a new one.  I use my financial calculator sometimes, just for fun, to pretend like I'm an important investment person still.  I made a blanket fort for Delinquent Cat with my ironing board and a huge blanket.  And I spent time in it with her (yes I am that small, I can fit under an ironing board).  

I'm giving you this present that tells you about what credit card changes are taking effect on Monday, February 22.  You should read it.  Credit card debt is bad and I will never marry anyone who has it. 

3 comments:

  1. Yes credit card debt is bad but over half of Americans have it. And sometimes it's unavoidable. You're really restricting your dating pool. And what's the point of some totally debt-free guy if he treats you like crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Sounds like you are having fun and I'm working on getting out of my rut. As for cable, unfortunately all my favorite shows are online so they are still too easy to access. I have never even had cable and yet these shows still get me...

    Good luck with the culinary institute! that sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous Just because over half of Americans have it doesn't make it ok in my book. Half of the half have it because they were irresponsible and don't live within their means. I admit there is some leeway on this "rule" of mine but it better be not much and a damn good reason for it and a damn good plan in progress to be paying it off.

    @Stephanie Thanks! I only got cable last fall so my ex-bf and I could watch football! I still watch a few shows on Hulu or nbc.com but it's just not as tempting to sit in front of the tele, mindlessly for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete