Tuesday, February 9, 2010

V-Day

Yes, this weekend it's time for that little, insipid "holiday" that insidiously lands on February 14 each year.  I refuse to acknowledge it by its full name here in my blog.  I have always tried to ignore it and continue with my consistently single life.  The colours red and pink are puke-inducing to me during this time of the year.  Cupids, hearts and the like provoke anxiety, fear and hatred. 

What is the genesis of this complete and resolute enmity for February 14 and all that it represents?  I'm glad you asked.  First, it is a fraudulent holiday fabricated by manufacturers of sugary confections and purveyors of saccharine greeting card poetry.  These anonymous charlatans impose on humanity their exaggerated conception of love, commitment and romance.  Practically every woman expects to receive such meaningless drivel, and every man is obligated to proffer the reliquaries of love and affection.  We are required on this day, to pay homage to our feelings and emotions for our loved, and unloved, ones. 

At this point, you have likely accurately assessed that I must be consistently unfettered by the shackles of a significant other.  Indeed, this is undeniable. If you have followed my blog since its inception, you know that until recently, I was dating someone.  This five month alleged relationship is officially my second longest.  We may perhaps discuss this, and the fact that I am 29, in another post.  But I digress.  Once again, I find myself alone and flying solo on February 14.  Whatever shall I celebrate?

V-day for me, is Victory-Day.  Victory over this "holiday" inflicted on humankind by those aforementioned charlatans.  I do not subscribe to those ubiquitous definitions and standards of love that surround us during this time of year.  I'm going to say Happy V-Day to those who define, in my language of love, the true meaning of cherishing friends and loved ones. 

Happy V-Day to you,
   S.R., for the consistent encouragement you provide; for the understanding and support you have always given; for the genuine epitome of contentment and happiness that I hope to achieve.  Thank you for always celebrating me and my journey.
   S.C., for everything you generously and selflessly give me.  Thanks for letting me call you all the time, no matter what time it is.  I hope I can someday reciprocate all that you've taught me, as I know I wouldn't be where I am without you.  I promise to take care of you in your old age.
   F&P, my sweet, adorable and loving kittens.  Fiona, thanks for always feeling my emotions and providing the appropriate response.  Portia, you always make my day by following me around and sleeping on my lap while purring extremely loudly.  You both make me feel loved every day.
   J.F., D.K., J.B., A.B., and many others whom I don't know very well, but are always there for me with kind and gentle words when I need to hear them.  Thanks for reading my blog and for making me feel like a good human being.  Your grace and kindnesses are inspiring.

My definitions of love, commitment and romance are quite different than hearts, chocolates and greeting cards.  To love me is to be committed to me; commitment to me is being there every time I need you, even if I'm sad, angry and making you feel uncomfortable.  Romance is doing the unexpected and being thoughtful; romance is thinking of me before you think of yourself. 

And this V-day, I am again sans a boyfriend.  I'm fine with that; I won't reduce my standards just to have someone to take me to dinner, give me a box of chocolates or a card because someone says he should.  As you can see, I'm surrounded by those who love me, are committed to seeing my success and support me through my journey.  I wouldn't have it any other way.


  

5 comments:

  1. Valentine's day is Cheap Candy-Eve! Seriously, I am obsessed with buying seasonal candy and other worthless crap the day after the big show. Just found your blog through "The Sassy Curmudgeon" and really like your writing style. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...Jilly, I like to do the same. Of course, I love a good deal :) And sugar. Thanks for stopping by and reading! It's always good to hear from readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to submit to a medically induced coma, starting the day before Thanksgiving and not revived until the day after "V-day."

    I like what I've seen here so far! If you don't mind, I'll tag along...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's brilliant Pat! I would join you quite gladly. Thanks for tagging along, I'm glad to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "definitions" you describe above are good ones. Nothing wrong with some of the fun romantic gestures of the holiday, at least in my mind, but your focus there is more on what's really important.

    ReplyDelete