Monday, February 8, 2010

Hunger Pains

Yesterday, for the Super Bowl, I made some great wings and some potato skins.  I thought I would share my latest food adventures with you.

The recipe for the Smoky Chipotle Wings is from Bobby Flay on Food Network.  What I loved about these wings is that the sauce had a great flavour, was spicy enough to have your mouth on fire, but not so spicy that the fire-mouth lasted very long.  They were really easy to make and the flour-chili powder mix for dredging was actually quite good on the wings that I kept plain, with no sauce.  The yogurt-blue cheese dipping sauce was quite good too, but it turned out I have a lot left over.  I guess the recipe is probably made for more than one person. 

I made potato skins too.  I had never made them before and in the past, have been unable to keep the skin of a baked potato intact enough to create twice-baked potatoes so I was a little nervous at attempting this.  I baked several whole potatoes, slit on the top so they don't explode, for 45 minutes in a 450 degree oven.  After letting them cool 15 minutes or so, cut in half and scooped out the potato, but still left a thicker layer of potato on the inside because I thought having a good potato to skin ration sounded yummy.  I layered on a bunch of shredded cheese and although I forgot bacon, would have added it, and baked for another 11 minutes at 450.  I topped with sour cream and chives. 

I saved all that scooped out potato stuff and figured I'd probably make some mashed potatoes out of it.  Since I have quite a bit of that yogurt-blue cheese sauce left over, I think I will actually add that to the potatoes instead of making traditional mashed potatoes.  That way I'm using all of my leftovers and, I imagine it will be super tasty.  I'll have that for dinner tonight along with some of the leftover wings. 

Now that I have started eating more than just soup after my stomach-emptying episode, I find that I just want to eat all the time.  This is due to boredom and probably, my body just realises what it has been missing for the past few weeks.  And honestly, I really just missed tasty food.

I hope you'll try the wings at your next party!  They're easy and very tasty.  You can always tone down the heat with less of any of the chili powders and perhaps add more garlic powder if that suits you.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. mmmm that sounds good! lately all i've wanted to eat are smoothies and hummus with pita. It's getting a bit old. This would certainly switch things up! Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete